Sunday, February 01, 2009

Fantastic weekend in sports :)



Hi Friends! What a great weekend! I hope you had a great weekend too :)

Firstly, Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer yet again, to win the Australian Open, 7-5 3-6 7-6 (7-3) 3-6 6-2. It was a historic victory for Nadal, as this is his first Australian Open title, first Grand Slam title on hard courts, and he became the first Spaniard in history that had ever claimed this Grand Slam Open trophy. It was a sweet victory, not just because he beat Federer yet again, but for all the hard work - this match was his second consecutive 5-sets epic battle, and in total, spent 9 and a half hours on court for the past 3 days! And I always like to say this... he's only 22. And he'd already claimed 6 Grand Slams. Federer, when he was 22, had only won his FIRST Grand Slam - the 2003 Wimbledon. I think Nadal will be the greatest ever, and the one to surpass Sampras' 14 Grand Slams record. Even if Federer exceeded Sampras' record, my prediction is Nadal will surpass 'em all. Congrats, Rafa!



Secondly, Manchester United beat Everton 1-0 to stretch their lead at the top of the English Premier League to 5 points. Yay!!! Looks like Liverpool has fizzled out, following the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal. And we thought that it would be a tight race... Kudos to Edwin van der Sar, for keeping the clean sheet for 12 consecutive matches, eclipsing the previous English Premier League record of 1,104 minutes without conceding a goal, set by Reading's Steve Death in 1979. Let's see if he will exceed the all-time British record of 1,196 minutes, set by Chris Woods of Rangers (Scottish Premier League).



Thirdly, I did 77 push-ups in 36 mins and 5.44 seconds, my best time ever, today. Things are progressing great. And I'm pretty sure that in no time, I will be able to do all that 77 push-ups in 2 mins.

Ok, it's back to work now. Yes, I think I am working through the night. And you are right if you guessed that I am rushing to complete my monthly report, not period (winks to Small Footprints).

Have a great week ahead, Friends!

5 Comments:

Blogger xose pi said...

i write from spain.

Wonderful spors this weekend. Nadal vs Federer. Great sportsmen

I think Nadal is a big tennist. He´ll win a lot of trophys!!

Salutes from Spain

My blog is PIRANOIAS

http://compostelaesgrima.blogspot.com

A lot of sports and swords!!

Xose

Sunday, February 01, 2009 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Inge' said...

Congrats on the push ups!! Those are hard to do so this is no small feat.

Monday, February 02, 2009 4:15:00 AM  
Blogger John said...

Hi Xose! Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting :) I will visit your blog soon!

Thanks Inge' :) You are right... even until now, my triceps and pecs hurts... signs of pushing beyond the limits...

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 6:58:00 AM  
Blogger MysLykeMeeh said...

Roger Federer bursed out in tears---sorry for him--howver, he's really good though!

Saturday, February 07, 2009 8:43:00 PM  
Blogger John said...

Yeah, too bad for him... yes, I agree that Federer was great... but I think, his time's up... Just like Sampras, it's time for a new champion.

Sunday, February 08, 2009 8:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home